• Scuba diving, horseback riding, helicopter tours available at additional cost
• Visit volcanic amphitheater in Nuku Hiva Bay
• Visit grave site of Paul Gauguin on Hiva Oa
• Visit Fatu Hiva, center of Marquesian culture
• Discover island of wild horses — Ua Huka
• 14 days
• Start and finish in Papeete, Tahiti
• All meals on ship and land included
• Guided excursions included
• Scuba diving, horseback riding, deep sea fishing tours available at additional cost
• Activity Level: 2
The lush, jagged volcanic islands of the Marquesas are French Polynesia's most spectacular island chain. You can imagine their raw beauty, the welcoming people and their mysterious stone tikis by reading the adventures of Paul Gauguin, Herman Melville, Jack London, Robert Louis Stevenson and Thor Heyerdahl. Today, there is no better way to explore these enchanting islands than by passengerfreighter.
Your days will be filled with adventure, as we journey to the Tuamotu and Marquesas Islands. Well-trained guides will take you hiking to ancient archaeological sites. Enjoy swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving and horseback riding. You'll visit charming villages and see local artisans making intricately-carved wooden bowls, war clubs and tapa — a traditional bark cloth. Very little has changed in these untouched islands. Visitors are rare but very welcome!
Important: We strongly recommend that you arrive 1 day early. If there are any flight delays and you miss the embarkation of the Aranui, ElderTreks & the Aranui are not responsible for lost services or extra expenses incurred to connect with the ship.
Travel aboard the upscale passenger & cargo freighter, Aranui III. Cabins range from dormitory (shared facilities) to (twin) standard, deluxe and suites with private facilities.
Seas can be rough. Shore landings (using traditional style whaleboats) required
Arrive in Papeete, Tahiti
Tuamotu Archipelago — Fakarava
Arrival to the Marquesas Archipelago, Island of Nuku Hiva; Traditional Marquesas lunch in the village of Hatiheu
Ua Pou – Marquesas lunch
Nuku Hiva (Taihoae) & Island of Ua Pou
Morning arrival in Papeete, Tahiti