• Explore Tikal and it's main rival, the seldom-visited Calakmul
• Visit 13 magnificent Mayan sites including Palenque, Chichen Itza, Tikal, Calakmul, Caracol and Copan
• 9 UNESCO sites
• Visit the colonial gems of Antigua, Campeche and Merida
• Hear the call of howler monkeys
• Superb bird watching at most Mayan sites as well as river excursions along Rio Dulce and the lagoon at Celestun
• Search for crocodiles, toucans, macaws, hummingbirds and monkeys
• Visit the colorful market in Chichicastenango
• Enjoy the laid back Caribbean culture of Livingston
• Boat journey on Lake Atitlan, surrounded by volcanoes
• 19 land days
• Maximum 16 travelers
• Start in Cancun, Mexico and finish in Antigua, Guatemala
• All meals included
• Activity Level: 2 or 3
ElderTreks' 19 day journey to the Lost World of the Mayans is probably the most exhilarating Mayan trip you will ever encounter. This fantastic adventure includes the great Mayan cities of Tikal (Guatemala), Copan (Honduras), Caracol (Belize), Palenque, Uxmal, Chichen Itza and Tulum (Mexico). We also journey to seldom visited Calakmul, Tikal's great rival. We also explore Yaxchilan, accessible only by boat before crossing the border into Guatemala. Visit Quirigua, the site which includes the controversial Stelae with it's Mayan calendar referring to in the "end of the world" predictions for Dec 21, 2012. The demise of the Mayan civilization - the end of the world as foretold in the astrology and beliefs of the Mayan, have long created intrigue and mystery.
Our Central American journey includes so much more than Mayan ruins. We explore lagoons and rivers teeming with birds as well as monkeys, crocodiles, turtles and much more. Experience the Caribbean culture of Livingston and the traditional mountain cultures of Lake Atitlan and Chichicastenango, featuring its vibrant and colorful Thursday market. And we cannot forget about the colonial gems of Merida, with the oldest cathedral in the Americas, the seaside fortress of Campeche as well as its beautiful central square and Antigua, a colonial masterpiece surrounded by 3 volcanoes.
We hope you can join ElderTreks' unique journey to the Mayan world that promises to be nothing short of memorable.
Comfortable hotels with private bathrooms.
Some roads can be rough and dusty. Some long drives. Hot and humid in the jungle.
Arrival in Cancun, Mexico; To Playa del Carmen
Oceanside Ruins of Tulum
Chichen Itza, Convent of Izamal, To Merida; Celestun
Lagoon of Celestun, to Uxmal
Uxmal; To Campeche
To the seldom visited Calakmul
Impressive Mayan Site of Palenque
Boat Journey to remote Yaxchilan. To Flores, Guatemala
Exploration of Tikal
The Mayan Site of Caracol, Belize
To the Carribean Town of Livingston via Rio Dulce
Boat to Puerto Barrios, to Quirigua; To Copan, Honduras
Explore Copan; To Lake Atitlan
The Colorful Market of Chichicastenango
Lake Atitlan; Boat Trip; To Antigua