• Explore Tikal and its main rival, the seldom-visited Calakmul
• Visit 13 magnificent Mayan sites including Palenque, Chichen Itza, Tikal, Calakmul, Caracol and Copan
• 9 UNESCO sites
• Visit the colonial gems of Antigua, Campeche and Merida
• Hear the call of howler monkeys
• Superb bird watching at most Mayan sites as well as river excursions along Rio Dulce and the lagoon at Celestun
• Search for crocodiles, toucans, macaws, hummingbirds and monkeys
• Visit the colorful market in Chichicastenango
• Enjoy the Caribbean culture of Livingston
• Boat journey on Lake Atitlan, surrounded by volcanoes
• 20 land days
• Maximum 16 travelers
• Start in Cancun, Mexico and finish in Antigua, Guatemala
• All meals included
• Activity Level: 2 or 3
ElderTreks' 20 day journey to the Lost World of the Mayans is probably the most exhilarating Mayan trip you will ever encounter. This fantastic adventure includes the great Mayan cities of Tikal (Guatemala), Copan (Honduras), Caracol (Belize), Palenque, Uxmal, Chichen Itza and Tulum (Mexico). We also journey to seldom visited Calakmul, Tikal's great rival. We also explore remote Yaxchilan, accessible only by boat before crossing the border into Guatemala. Visit Quirigua, the site which includes the Stelae with its Mayan calendar referring to in the "end of the world" predictions for Dec 21, 2012. The demise of the Mayan civilization - the end of the world as foretold in the astrology and beliefs of the Mayan, have long created intrigue and mystery.
Our Central American journey includes so much more than Mayan ruins. We explore lagoons and rivers teeming with birds as well as monkeys, crocodiles, turtles and much more. Experience the Caribbean culture of Livingston and the traditional indigenous cultures of Lake Atitlan and Chichicastenango, featuring its vibrant and colorful market held on Thursdays and Sundays. And, we cannot forget about the colonial gems of Merida, with the oldest cathedral in the Americas, the seaside fortress of Campeche, Lake Atitlan, surrounded by 3 volcanoes and finally Antigua, a true colonial masterpiece!
We hope you can join ElderTreks' unique journey to the Mayan world that promises to be nothing short of memorable.
has guaranteed departures
Comfortable hotels/lodges with private bathrooms.
Some roads can be rough and dusty with some long drives. Uneven terrain at some of the sites. Hot and humid in the jungle.
Arrival in Cancun, To Playa del Carmen
Oceanside Ruins of Tulum, Swim in the Pristine Freshwater of a Cenote
Chichen Itza, Convent of Izamal, To Merida
Merida, To Lagoon of Celestun
Uxmal, To Campeche
Campeche Fort, To Calakmul
Explore Seldom Visited Calakmul
Impressive Mayan Site of Palenque, To Vallescondido
Boat Journey to Remote Yaxchilan, To Flores, Guatemala
Exploration of Tikal
The Mayan Site of Caracol, Belize
To the Carribean Town of Livingston via Rio Dulce
Playa Blanca & Livingston Culture
Boat to Puerto Barrios, Quirigua & Copan, Honduras
Colorful Market of Chichicastenango, To Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan Boat Trip, To Antigua