• Explore the medieval town of Baku
• Visit Zoroastrian Fire Temples and 6000-year old Stone and Iron Age Petroglyphs
• Visit the wine region of Georgia
• Travel along the famed Georgian Military Highway to the Caucusus Mountains
• Visit Tbilisi and sample Georgian foods
• Explore the cave-monastery of Vardzia
• See Lake Sevan in Armenia
• Visit the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Geghard and Echmiadzin
• Wander the streets of Yerevan and gaze at the vista of Mt. Ararat
• 19 days
• Maximum 16 travelers
• Start in Baku, Azerbaijan and finish in Yerevan, Armenia
• All meals included
• Activity Level: 2
Situated between Russia in the north and Iran and Turkey in the southwest lies the region best known as the Caucasus. Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia were all former Soviet Republics, each with their own rich and unique history, language and culture.
We begin our journey in Baku, Azerbaijan, one of the first oil cities of the world. Natural gas vents led rise to the religion of Zoroastrianism and their fire temples, which still burn bright today. We will explore the nearby Ashberon Peninsula and marvel at 6000 year old petroglyphs.
Continuing into the mountains we enter Georgia and get our first taste of their famed wines in the Kakheti region. Later continue to the beautiful capital of Tbilisi.Heading north we travel the famed Georgian Military Highway to the Caucasus Mountains. Everywhere we turn we see evidence of Georgian pride and religion in their majestic churches.
Crossing into Armenia we stop at Lake Sevan, one of the highest fresh-water lakes in the world. We will use the capital, Yerevan as our base to explore the Armenian countryside as we visit cave monasteries, churches and pilgrimage sites, with holy Mt. Ararat our constant companion. We also visit the 7,500 year old astrological site of Karahunj, (3,500 yrs older than StoneHenge) and the ancient cave dwellings of Khndzoresk.
The Caucasus is famous for its hospitality, sumptuous foods, fine wines and stunning mountain scenery. Join us on this fascinating journey into a lesser-known region of the world.
has guaranteed departures
Comfortable accommodations with private bathrooms.
Shared facilities at guesthouse in Georgia for one night.
Some rough roads, long drives.
Baku - Old town, Shirvan Shah's Palace
Baku to Shemakha and Sheki
Sheki to Telavi, Georgia
Telavi to Davit Gareja to Tbilsi
Gudauri - Georgia Pass - Gudauri
Gudauri to Bakuriani
Day Trip to Vardzia
Bakuriani to Tbilisi
To Haghpat, Lake Sevan, Armenia
To Khor Virap/Areni/Noravank Karamunj/Goris
Trip to Echmiadzin