• Explore the remote reaches of Newfoundland & Labrador in summer bloom Visit the reconstructed Viking settlement in North America at L’Anse aux Meadows
• Travel with widely respected authors, naturalists and culturalists
• Sail in heavy ice looking for polar bears, whales and seals
• Visit the largely inaccessible Torngat Mountains National Park
• 13 Days
• Start in St. John's, finish in Kangerlussuaq
• All meals on board included
• Travel aboard the Ocean Endeavour
• Activity Level: 1
This extraordinary sailing showcases a staggering geographic diversity, departing the rocky narrows of St. John’s harbour and heading north along the coast of Newfoundland. We’ll explore islands and inlets in Notre Dame Bay and stop at L’Anse aux Meadows to pay our respects to North America’s Viking visitors before leaving Newfoundland behind and heading north into Labrador.
Once there, we’ll sail along dazzling, rocky coastlines and call at immense beaches and long-abandoned communities. We’ll visit the seat of the Inuit government as we move further north, and eventually will find our way into the stunning fjords of the Torngat Mountains National Park. In the park, mountains will tower above us as the azure waters mark our passage below; we will be scanning the horizon for icebergs, whales, polar bears, seals—and, of course, the abundance of nesting seabirds. The Labrador coast has to be seen to be believed. We will do more than see it, as we head ashore on daily Zodiac expeditions to hike the secret wilds of Canada’s hidden coast.
We then turn east and ever northward, crossing the Davis Strait en route to Greenland. Once there, we will explore the world’s northernmost capital city and plumb the many fjords for which the western coast is famed. Our journey ends as we sail into Kangerlussuaq at the head of Sondre Stromfjord, nestled against one of the largest ice caps in the world.
This is not an ElderTreks operated tour. As such, participants on this tour are not exclusive ElderTreks clients and it may not adhere to ElderTreks' maximum size restrictions of our tours.