• Travel the route that obsessed explorers for centuries
• Enjoy the legendary hospitality of vibrant Inuit communities
• Find and photograph the wild creatures of the Arctic wilderness
• Experience the Arctic with our expert artists, lecturers and hosts
• Visit the historic graves of the ill fated Franklin Expedition
• Visit the largest uninhabited island on earth during our stop at Devon Island
• A good probability of seeing the northern lights in all their majesty
• 16 Days
• Start in Kugluktuk (Coppermine), finish in Kangerlussuaq
• All meals on board included
• Travel aboard the Ocean Endeavour
• Activity Level: 1
An iconic journey, the Northwest Passage remains an adventure today. Leaving Kugluktuk, we head east, traversing James Ross Strait en route to GjÃƒÂ¸a Haven where Amundsen honed his polar skills. We sail the Queen Maud Gulf, while stopping daily for hiking and Zodiac cruising. Passing through Bellot Strait, we watch for whales, walrus, polar bear and muskox. At Beechey Island we pay our respects at the Franklin Graves. On Devon Island, we visit the ruins of the Dundas Harbour RCMP and HBC posts, before calling in at Canada's most northerly community, Aujuittuq (Grise Fiord).
Continuing north into the wilds of Smith Sound we expect ice, ice, and more ice! We trace the routes of famous explorers such as Rasmussen and Peary as we call in at Greenland's northernmost community of Qaannaq. Sailing south amidst towering icebergs, we'll witness calving glaciers, explore deep fiords and visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Ilulissat Ice fjord.
To sail the Northwest Passage is to sail through living history, to sail the haunting landscapes that have enchanted explorers for centuries. In the fierce and untameable wilds lies a stark beauty-the wild, remote reaches of the north have a power that is all their own. Join the ranks of the fearless adventurers who have been lured by the Northwest Passage's spirit.
This is not an ElderTreks operated tour. As such, participants on this tour are not exclusive ElderTreks clients and it may not adhere to ElderTreks' maximum size restrictions of our tours.