• Explore the medieval town of Baku
• Visit Zoroastrian Fire Temples and 6000-year old Stone and Iron Age petroglyphs
• Visit the wine region of Georgia
• Travel along the famed Georgian Military Highway to the Caucasus Mountains
• Explore the sites Tbilisi & Yerevan & enjoy delicious cuisine and wine!
• See Lake Sevan in Armenia
• Explore the cave monastery of Vardzia
• Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Geghard and Echmiadzin
• Visit Khor Virap monastery with stunning views of Mt Ararat.
• 20 days
• Maximum 16 travelers
• Start in Baku, Azerbaijan and finish in Yerevan, Armenia
• All meals included
• Activity Level: 2 - 3
Situated between Russia in the north and Iran and Turkey in the southwest, lies the region best known as the Caucasus. Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia were all former Soviet Republics, each with their own rich and unique history, language and culture.
We begin our journey in Baku, Azerbaijan, one of the first oil cities of the world. Natural gas vents led rise to the religion of Zoroastrianism and their fire temples, which still burn bright today. We will explore the nearby Ashberon Peninsula and marvel at 6000-year old petroglyphs.
Continuing into the mountains we enter Georgia and get our first taste of their renowned wines in the Kakheti region. Later continue to the beautiful capital of Tbilisi. Heading north we travel the famed Georgian Military Highway to the Caucasus Mountains. Everywhere we turn we see evidence of Georgian pride and religion in their majestic churches.
Crossing into Armenia we stop at Lake Sevan, one of the highest fresh water lakes in the world. We will use the capital, Yerevan as our base to explore the Armenian countryside as we visit cave monasteries, churches and pilgrimage sites, with holy Mt. Ararat our constant companion. We also visit the 7,500 year old astrological site of Karahunj (3,500 yrs older than Stonehenge), and the ancient cave dwellings of Khndzoresk.
The Caucasus is famous for its hospitality, sumptuous foods, fine wines and stunning mountain scenery. Join us on this fascinating journey into a lesser-known region of the world.
FROM: $6995 USD
has guaranteed departures
Comfortable accommodations with private bathrooms.
Some rough roads, long drives.
Baku - Old Town, Shirvan Shah's Palace
Absheron Peninsula & Gobustan
Baku to Shemakha, Lahij and Sheki
Sheki to Telavi, Georgia
Telavi to Sighnaghi Fortified Town, to Tbilisi
Tbilisi to Gudauri
Georgia Pass - Gudauri
To Akhaltsikhe via Gori
Day Trip to Vardzia
Akhaltsikhe to Tbilisi
To Haghpat, Lake Sevan, Armenia
To Sevan Monastery, Selim Pass, Karahunj, Tatev, Goris
To Khndzoresk, Noravank, Areni, Khor Virap, Yerevan
To Geghard, Garni, Yerevan
Trip to Echmiadzin