• Enjoy the colonial gems of Leon (1525 - oldest city in the Americas)
• Visit beautiful Ometepe Island on Lake Nicaragua, formed by its 2 volcanoes
• Search for monkeys, sloths, turtles and a myriad of birdlife
• Explore Matagalpa including a coffee tour and Indigenous communities
• Granada Sites, Mombacho Volcano Hike, Laguna de Apoyo
• Journey to Masaya market and volcano
• Relax on the Pacific coast including San Juan del Sur and a turtle reserve
• 13 land days
• Maximum 16 travelers
• Start and finish in Managua
• All meals included
• Activity Level: 2
The small Central American country of Nicaragua has gone from being a country at war to one of Latin America's travel gems. Stunning landscape, smouldering volcanoes, abundant primate and bird life, impressive colonial cities and warm welcoming people make Nicaragua a must see destination for adventure travelers.
We start in the capital of Managua before departing for Leon, the oldest (1525) and easily one of the most beautiful colonial cites in the Americas. We continue to Matagalpa, known for coffee production and its indigenous people. We visit a second colonial masterpiece of Granada, as well as Masaya volcano and market and enjoy local cuisine during a cooking lesson. Enjoy time on Ometepe Island, formed by 2 volcanoes in Lake Nicaragua. We visit pre-Colombian petroglyphs, a butterfly farm and a local church that has its own 'indigenous Jesus'. On the Pacific coast, we visit a turtle sanctuary which has several major turtle migrations to lay eggs between July and January each year. If we visit during a major migration, the site is truly magnificent! If the beach has no turtles, we can learn about the turtles and go for a swim at this pristine white sand beach. Always keep an eye out for monkeys! Our last stop is the capital of Managua, where we enjoy a city tour and our farewell dinner.
FROM: $3495 USD
Comfortable hotels with private bathrooms.
Some long drives through mountain roads.
Leon - Oldest City in the Americas (est. 1525)
To Matagalpa, San Jacinto Mudfields
Matagalpa, Coffee Tour, Indigenous Community, Weaving
To Granada, Masaya Volcano & Market, Cooking Lesson
Granada Sites, Mombacho Volcano Hike, Laguna de Apoyo
To Ometepe Island, Lake Nicaragua
To San Juan del Sur, Zipline, Viewpoint
San Juan del Sur, Turtle Reserve
To Managua, Farewell Dinner